Once upon a time, Mr. B and I had two incomes and two kids. We thought we were frugal but I look back now and laugh at how much money we really could have saved. We never even considered cheap date nights. Each month, our system for date nights added up to quite a bit of money so about once a quarter we went on Mega Date Nights. We would go hog wild. In Atlanta, that’s easy to do and oh-s0-enjoyable.
It’s been almost five years since I stopped teaching and we’ve added three littles in that time as well. Life has gotten more adventurous but our budget is not. We’ve had to get creative with our date nights and the Mega Date Nights are a lot more infrequent.
Here are some ideas for cheap date nights for $10 or less. (Don’t forget you already have babysitting listed as a budget line item, right?)
Related Article: 5 Reasons You Should Budget for Babysitting
15 Ideas for Cheap Date Nights ($10 or Less)
- Go for a hike.
- Walk the dog.
- Go out for coffee and wander around a local bookstore. This introvert’s favorite thing to do. (le sigh) Learn more about each other from the books you’ve read and want to read.
- See a movie at the dollar movie theater (or $2 theater because, you know, inflation)
- Rent a movie at Redbox and have a picnic in the living room.
- Cook dinner together.
- Put a puzzle together.
- Play cards. Mr. B hates games that require almost all luck so we continue to look for games that are more about strategy. I love games! Like, love them. I would play just about every night.
- Go to a concert at your local amphitheater. We have a few places close by that have concerts or movies during the summer.
- Go window shopping at a local novelty shop. To make this more fun, challenge each other to buy a gift that is $5 or less that makes you think of them.
- Check out the local high school plays. The last high school play we went to was Little Women to support our friend’s daughter. It was fantastic!
- Go yardsaling. Challenge yourselves to purchase something for $10 or less and upcycle it into a new decorative piece at home.
- Buy a Groupon. You can search for Things To Do and set a price range. I found a Groupon for Cosmic Bowling and a local Beer and BBQ Festival for less than $10 a person (Ok, so this isn’t $10 total. But it’s still super cheap).
- Do a scavenger hunt at the mall. Use pictures on your smartphone as evidence of your fantastic finds. When you’re done, go to the food court and spend your $10 budget on sharing a milkshake or a plate of spaghetti (Lady and The Tramp style?)
- Pick each other up at a local bar. Okay, this seems so silly but hear me out. Remember the first time you went out with your hubby? Do you remember the butterflies? The whole point of this one is to recreate that.
Related Post: 15 Cheap Date Night Ideas ($10 or Less)
The Heart of Date Nights
You don’t always have to have a fancy date. The point is to keep your hearts connected. Date night is a time to get away as husband and wife and it is so important. (Remember, that is the whole reason why you budget for babysitting now?) Sometimes I forget the name on my birth certificate isn’t actually “Mommy.” Am I the only one who lactates when I hear babies crying in public and turns at every random kid shouting out for Mom?
Dating your husband doesn’t have to break the bank and if you save a little here and there on your dates, put the rest in a little date jar. Once it adds up to the amount you want, find a great local restaurant and celebrate a “Mega Date Night.”
It’ll spice up your date night game. And you’ll be all the better for it. Have fun!
What are your favorite cheap (or free) date night ideas?